Even though orthodontic treatment at Children’s Dental Zone begins at a young age, sometimes orthodontic problems don’t present themselves until later into teenage years or adulthood.
By that time, walking around high school with metal braces isn’t what most kids want to do, even if their teeth could use some form of correction. After all, while braces are great at correcting misaligned teeth, they can hurt the confidence and self-esteem of some teens.
If you’re a teenager or the parent of a teenager living in or around the Johns Creek area, we want to tell you about a popular alternative to traditional metal braces that you’re likely to love…Invisalign®.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign treatment uses a set of clear aligners that are custom made to fit perfectly (and snugly) over your teeth. Many patients (especially teenagers and adults) prefer Invisalign over traditional braces, as Invisalign aligners are nearly invisible.
You can learn more here: https://www.invisalign.com/
In fact, Invisalign aligners are often called “clear braces” due to the fact that many people won’t recognize you are even wearing them, and even if they do, Invisalign doesn’t have the stigma of traditional braces.
How Does it Work?
Using the Invisalign system to straighten teeth is actually quite incredible. You see, Invisalign aligners are made out of a proprietary SmartTrack material, which gradually applies gentle pressure at the right places to shift your teeth into place with little or no pain.
Here’s an outline of how the process works:
- First, schedule your teenager’s consultation with Children’s Dental Zone (or if you’re a parent of a current patient, we offer this service to adults as well!). During this consult, you’ll meet with one of our experienced Invisalign dentists to determine whether or not Invisalign is a viable treatment alternative for you.
- Secondly, we will take either digital or physical impressions of your teeth, mapping out your treatment plan. You’ll get an estimated timeframe as to how long treatment will take (most patients fall between 12-24 months) and even be able to preview what your new smile will look like!
- Next, you’ll receive your first set of custom aligners, which should be worn 20-22 hours per day. Basically, we recommend that you wear your aligners unless you are eating, brushing your teeth, or want to take them out for a special event.
- During the Invisalign treatment process, you’ll see us every 6-8 weeks and be given a new set of aligners to wear every 2 weeks. Each new set of aligners will serve to gradually shift your teeth more into place, so that at the end of your treatment you get the exact look you want!
- After your treatment is complete, we often recommend a retainer (which can also be made of the same clear material as your Invisalign aligners) for a period of time, but we can discuss that after your successful treatment.
Can Teenagers Handle the Responsibility?
One question we often hear is, “Can teenagers handle this?”
It’s a great question and it really depends on the individual. If your teen can commit to wearing the aligners for 20+ hours per day and attend all of their check-in appointments every 6-8 weeks, they shouldn’t have a problem.
To learn more about Invisalign for teenagers, click the link below:
Is Invisalign Right for Your Teenager?
Let’s Find Out!
If you live or work in Johns Creek or anywhere in the North Atlanta area, we encourage you to contact Children’s Dental Zone to schedule an Invisalign consultation.
We are experienced in working with teenagers to straighten their teeth using the Invisalign system and our patients love us (you can read our reviews below):
To book your child’s Invisalign consultation or to learn more about how Invisalign can help your teen straighten their teeth, give our practice a call today!